About Me

My photo
My philosophy is quite simple and I share it with you because it defines who I am: I believe that success is not about how much money, power or influence we can amass; true success comes easily as we find those special beings that make us happy to wake up every morning and look forward to the joys of every day life. I will probably never be rich with worldly possessions, but I consider myself extremely wealthy because I have the best of friends anyone can hope for...

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Entry #3

On the evening of the third of August, I landed in Baghdad. The temperature was well over 100 degrees but it felt only a bit warm when compared to Kuwait, which I was glad to leave behind. I was pleasantly surprised to find Dave, the Lieutenant Commander (LCDR) I was to relieve, waiting for me. We collected my four seabags and headed for Camp Victory.

The trip from the airport was uneventful as we rode between and around high cinder block walls topped with barbed wire. Whenever we came into the open, the terrain was devoid of vegetation except for a rare palm tree and scant, rugged versions of the Texas tumble weed. As for the atmosphere, it was impregnated with a very fine mist of powdered dirt, like in Kuwait. Not only could I see it, but I could smell it and taste it. The taste of the dirt in my mouth became bitter as I thought of the land that boasted being the Cradle of Civilization and the site of the great Hanging Gardens of Babylon, those legendary wonders of the world.

My heart sank at the thought of all that has transpired in this region. For millennia the peoples along the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers made tremendous contributions to the advancement of our civilization. Today, it seems that thousands of years were wiped out in the blink of eye, or that civility is barely reaching this forsaken territory and its inhabittants…

Once in Camp Victory, I promptly signed in with billeting and got on the waiting list for a CHU (Containerized Habitation Unit… or something like that). My temporary home would be tent 104. A pleasant surprise awaited me there. Three fellow Commanders (CDRs) that started the journey with me back in Ft. Jackson were assigned to the same tent: Super smart Doc Chris, and two extraordinary Supply Corps Officers, Kevin and Mac. Two Army Lieutenant Colonels (LTCs) joined us later but I did not get to know them since I was fortunate to get assigned a CHU the very next day.

The day after my arrival, I met Dave for breakfast at one of the Dining Facilities (DIFACs). The only thing I will say about the DIFACs is that they offer a great selection and it would be all too easy to gain lots of weight for anyone not moderating their food intake, and balancing it with plenty of exercise.

After breakfast, Dave and I walked the short route to the Al Faw Palace, my new work station. Al Faw Palace sits in the middle of a lake with one main road leading straight to the front portal. It is very much like a castle with its own moat stocked with very big fish. We were greeted by Tonga Marines at the gate leading to the palace. Those Tonga Marines are at least six ft tall and are very professional and Gung Ho.

Well, I do not want to make this too long. The bandwidth of my internet service provider cannot handle very much, and I do not even know if I will be able to upload any photos. Hence, please stay tuned for my description of the lavish AL Faw Palace.

To be continued…

No comments: